Town History

Miscellaneous Photos of Swansea Massachusetts

Images from the Swansea Historical Society archives located at the Main Library and the
Library of Congress archives

unknown home (from Swansea Historical Society archives)

click on any image
to enlarge

unknown view (from Swansea Historical Society archives)


unknown home (from Swansea Historical Society archives)

unknown home (from Swansea Historical Society archives)

Job Gardner's house, believed to have been built by Lieutenant Col. Peleg Gardner. Destroyed by fire. (from Swansea Historical Society archives)


Abram's Rock
located in Village Park (from Swansea Historical Society archives)

click here for more info

The Borden summer home. 1205 Gardners Neck Road. Owned by Andrew Borden, Father of Lizzie Borden. (from Swansea Historical Society archives)

Great Island, Ocean Grove, Swansea MA, now known as Pleasure Island (and formerly known as Shady Isle) (from Swansea Historical Society archives)


Residence of A. Homer Skinner. Gardners Neck Road (at what is now Susan Drive). Circa 1905 (from Swansea Historical Society archives)

Image from Library of Congress - Tavern on Milford Rd. Historic American Buildings Survey, Arthur C. Haskell, Photographer. April, 1934. (b) Ext- General view of building and stable from northeast

Image from Library of Congress - Old Tavern at Rt 6 and Milford Rd. Historic American Buildings Survey, Arthur C. Haskell, Photographer. April, 1934. (a) Ext- General view from northwest


Swansea images from scanned postcards

former country store located on Maple Ave

click on any image
to enlarge

The Bluffs pre Hurricane of 1938


Lovett's market located at the corner of Milford Road and Gardners Neck Road/Hortonville Road

Home located on the corner of Old Warren Road and Maple Avenue/Pearse Road

Swansea Rest Home (now Meadowbrook) located on Stevens Road


Dorothy Brown Rebekah Lodge (1932)
"The lodge hall was built in 1899, dedicated March 29, 1900; and it is said that this is the only Rebekah Lodge in this country that owns its Hall, and has invested funds." (ref: eBook 'History of Swansea, Massachusetts, 1667-1917')

Ocean Grove Market
pre Hurricane of 1938

Ocean Grove circa 1901 near entrance to Shady Isle aka Pleasure Island

 

"The Tangle"
located in the "Gardens in the estate of F. S. Stevens."
(description taken from "The Swansea Stagecoach" published by Swansea Historical Society, 1976, and available at the Luther Museum)

  St Michael's Parochial School
Ocean Grove, MA